- Why do I have to wait so long for eBooks and eAudiobooks?
- I updated my library card - your activity will automatically be moved to your new library card.
- How to check out titles from the Massachusetts Partner Library Networks (see below)
- How to check out titles from the SAILS Enterprise online catalog.
Update on the OverDrive & Libby apps
Attention, OverDrive app users! OverDrive is discontinuing the legacy OverDrive app in early 2023 and transitioning users to the Libby app. Libby is OverDrive’s newer app for browsing and enjoying digital content from our library.
Download the Libby App here: https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby/
It’s time to give Libby a try! All your loans, holds, and wish list items will be waiting for you in Libby when you add your library card.
Libby also comes with new features we know you’ll love, like:
- Tags to categorize books however you’d like—you can even sync your OverDrive wish list into a tag!
- A central bookshelf for all loans and holds
- Customizable notifications for ready holds, new magazine issues, and more
- Compatibility with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Sonos speakers
- Easy access to OverDrive support staff
For instructions on how to download or stream your digital loan, including how to send to a Kindle reader, visit Libby App Help.
The recommend to library feature in the OverDrive app is not available yet in Libby. It is something they are working towards. However, you can still recommend titles to the library in the OverDrive website via a browser.
Your reading history will not transfer from your OverDrive app account to Libby. If you are concerned about losing your reading history please visit OverDrive Reading History and decide which option is best for your needs.
What is a Partner Library?
Partner Libraries are Massachusetts library networks that have agreed to share access to their digital collections with each other.
This means you can borrow ebooks and audiobooks from any Partner Library with your SAILS library card.
Note: Some titles and formats, including magazines, are not eligible to be shared between Partner Libraries.
How do I borrow an ebook or audiobook from a partner library?
To get started:
1. Find or add a partner library network from either:
-Our Digital Collection website (SAILS.overdrive.com): Click on Partner Libraries
-Libby App: Select Add a Library and search for a partner Massachusetts library network
2. Sign in as a SAILS Library Patron with your SAILS card number & password (PIN).
3. Enjoy! Borrow and request from our neighbors’ library collections.
Digital Collection Website (OverDrive):
Click on Partner Libraries at the top menu of the page. Click on a library network name to visit their digital library.
Sign in to borrow a title. Select SAILS Library Patrons from the drop-down menu, then sign with your SAILS library card number and password (PIN).
Libby App or website:
Our Digital Collection website for Libby (https://libbyapp.com/library/sails) functions the same way as the app.
To find and switch between collections, tap in the top right corner. Select Add A Library.
Search for a Partner Library (Boston Public Library, CLAMS, CW MARS, Minuteman, NOBLE, or OCLN).
Click on the library network name to visit their digital library.
Scroll down until you find this:
Sign in to borrow a title. To sign in, select I'm Visiting From Another Library and choose SAILS Library Network. Enter your SAILS library card number and password (PIN).
Who do I contact for help with OverDrive or Libby?
Visit help.overdrive.com for instructions and training videos, as well as info about device compatibility and troubleshooting.
For help with the Libby, visit help.libby.com or tap to open the Libby menu. At the bottom of the menu, find tips and tutorials under "Learn Libby" or help under "Help & Support."
If you need further assistance, contact a library using this form.
How do I see all my digital loans and holds from all partner libraries?
In the Libby app, all of your digital loans, holds, and tags are accessible on your Shelf.
The lending library network of each hold or loan is marked by a square with their brand colors.
Note: You need to sign-in and save a library card in the Libby app at each library network for your loans & holds from that network to display. If you borrowed an item from a library's digital collection website (OverDrive) and it is not appearing on your shelf, confirm that you have added that library in Libby.
I'm trying to borrow an item from a partner library, but I get an error message when I try to sign in.
To borrow from other Massachusetts partner libraries with your home (SAILS) library card, be sure to choose "SAILS Library Patrons" from the drop-down menu whenever you sign in. (In the Libby App, first choose "I'm Visiting From Another Library".)
If you try to sign in as another library's patron, you will receive an error message such as "Library Server Message- Invalid Library Card" or "Library Server Message- Request Record Not Found".
If you need assistance signing in, contact a library with this form.
Do my checkout settings (loan period, auto-checkout, etc) apply to all loans in Libby?
Different libraries have different default loan settings, so you will need to set your preferences for each partner library network.
To change your settings for loans and holds:
Thank you to the Minuteman Library Network for their work on creating the initial version of these help files.
What are the lending policies for Overdrive titles?
SAILS digital titles can be checked out for 7, 14, or 21 days, with 7 as the default lending period. The only exceptions are picture books, and streaming video titles, which have 3, 5, or 7 day loan periods, with 5 as the default. There can be 6 titles checked out at a time, and 10 titles on hold.
- 1 Update on the OverDrive & Libby apps
- 1.0.1 What is a Partner Library?
- 1.0.2 How do I borrow an ebook or audiobook from a partner library?
- 1.0.3 Who do I contact for help with OverDrive or Libby?
- 1.0.4 How do I see all my digital loans and holds from all partner libraries?
- 1.0.5 I'm trying to borrow an item from a partner library, but I get an error message when I try to sign in.
- 1.0.6 Do my checkout settings (loan period, auto-checkout, etc) apply to all loans in Libby?