Quick patron registration steps:
- Click on the User Display Wizard
- Search the system by name to see if the person already has a card.
- If the patron does not have a record in the database select the User Registration Wizard
- There should be a default profile selected. Probably ADULT.
- Scan in the new patron barcode
- Click on each tab as you enter the data and complete the required files. Do not press OK until the record is complete.
Note: Do not enter a space before the initial letter. Even though it doesn't display, sorting will be wrong.
- View the patron registration manual for full details.
- Library Card Application (from Lakeville)
- Portuguese Card Application (from New Bedford)
Printing patron information
Registering & Modifying tips
» Patron Record - 3 components
» User Group Manual
» Entering a patron's name
» Entering a patron's name - spaces issue
» Entering Suffixes into a Patron Name
» Entering 2 Email Addresses for a Patron
» How to properly format an email address
» Entering the birthdate
» Deleting a Field in a Record
» Updating a Patron Record
» Updating a Temporary Patron Record
» Barring a Patron
» Saving charge history
Removing patrons - Every week SAILS runs a report to remove patrons with the profile "WITHDRAWN and also who have a clear records. To set a patron to be deleted:
- Use the modify user record
- Update the patron's profile to "WITHDRAWN"
PINs - Our recommended practice is to set the PIN to the last 4 digits of patron's phone number. You will need to enter the override of SAILS to proceed.
Summer visitors - Register with their home library card. If they are MA residents, assign them a UCAT2 of MASS. If they are from out of state, UCAT2 is NOMASS.
Expiring cards - If you process a renewal or checkout, items will not check out beyond the date the card expires. The card must be renewed first before the system will allow the full checkout.
Alt IDs - If your patrons are complaining about having to enter their entire barcode, you can create an ALT ID for them that can be any combination of letters and numbers. The only 2 requirements are:
- The ALT id must be unique
- Never, Never enter the Social Security number in the patron record
Patron Status -
OK - normal status for a patron.
DELINQUENT - when a patron has an overdue item or a fine. Updated at 11:30 p.m. daily before overdue notices are run. May place holds or renew items from e-catalog.
BLOCKED - when a public library patron has 7 items overdue OR owes $10 or more in fines/bills. Updated at 11:30 p.m. daily before overdue notices are run. May NOT place holds or renew items from e-catalog.
BARRED - applied & removed manually by library staff. May NOT place holds, renew or check out items.